Menubar

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Knit Baby Hat


The countdown has begun. Next week my sister and my darling niece Meera will leave for the US after a wonderful 2 months in India. How I wish time could stand still! Meera is an absolute delight. I'm going to miss her like crazy.

Meanwhile I continue to make things for her, which is an absolute pleasure. Here is yet another one - a knit hat from a pattern that I wrote up myself. I have tried my best here to write the steps as clearly as possible - do let me know if there any questions. I used the lovely Avante Garde yarn from Adriafil (Italy) from my online store The Happy Hands Store. The yarn is lovely to work with and though initially I thought working with such small needles would be a pain, I am happy that I was proved wrong.

The hat itself turned out gorgeous - the yarn makes it soft and perfect for a baby head.




Yarn : Avantgarde by Adriafil
Needles : 2.75 mm

Guage: 7sts/inch

This hat measures five and a half inches in height and fits a head measuring 16 inches.

Cast on 105 sts. Join to work in the round taking care not to twist the stitches.
Work K3,P2 rib till the work measures one and a half inches from the cast on edge.
Next row: Knit
Next row: Purl

Repeat the previous 2 rounds 3 more times.

Continue in stockinette stitch (knit all stitches) till the hat measures four and a half inches from the cast on edge.

Decrease rounds.
Knit 13, K2tog till the end of the round
Knit 1 round even
Knit 12, K2tog till the end of the round
Knit 1 round even
Knit 11, K2tog till the end of the round
Knit 1 round even
Knit 10, K2tog till the end of the round
Knit 1 round even
Knit 9, K2tog till the end of the round
Knit 1 round even
Knit 1, K2tog till the last stitch, k1
Knit 1 round even
K2tog till the last stitch, k1
Knit one round even
K2tog all around
Knit one round even.

Break yarn leaving a long tail. Weave through the remaining stitches and draw closed. Weave in ends. Keep a baby warm :)



5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Shami :) I hope she likes the things I make even when she grows up.

      Delete
  2. That hat fits perfectly, Suma! Very cute! And your model is adorable :)
    Thank you for the pattern. I'm going to use it very soon :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sandhya :) Let me know how it turned out.

      Delete
  3. First and foremost.. Hearty Congratulations!!!! Dearie, I am soooo happy to see your dream come true... I remember you speaking about it in 2012 !! Seems like another era... Keep it going.. Hope to catch up when in country next. BTW: Meera is real cute :-)) Loads of love and All the very best... Keep it coming :-)))

    ReplyDelete