Menubar

Friday, August 16, 2013

Fringe Bag Tutorial



I caught a fleeting glimpse of a fringe bag on television sometime back. At that time I wished I had enough time to take in the details. Soon after, when I saw this lovely brown fringe  I couldn't let go of a chance to come up with my own version. The store had less than 2 metres of this colour left which didn't stop me from buying it. I planned the dimensions of my bag accordingly. My bag is 10.5 inches wide and 13 inches in height and has an interior pocket in the lining. The tutorial below does not include steps for the pocket.

I'm not an expert at this but I  have tried my best to explain the steps. Please do let me know if you spot any errors.

Lets start with our Fringe bag

Materials Needed:

Main Fabric - 14" X 12.5" - cut 2

Lining Fabric - 14" X 12.5" - cut 2

Interfacing (Optional) - 14" X 12.5" - cut 2. I used interfacing on my main fabric because it was a bit thin.

Tabs for the D rings - 4" X 3" - cut 2

Tabs for the zipper - 3.75" X 1.5" - cut 2

Tabs for the strap : 1.75" x 4" - cut 2

D rings 1 inch - 2

Trigger Hooks (the size depends on the width of your strap)- 2

Fringe - 2 mts - I used 6" fringe

Strap - 1 mt. - My strap width is about 3/4"

Zipper - 1

Rivets - 2 sets

1. Cut your main fabric and lining fabric pieces. Add interfacing to the main fabric if necessary. I used very light weight interfacing.

2. D ring: Take the tab for the D ring, fold the 4" edge at the centre. Fold the edges to this centre. Press lightly. Fold at the centre again and press.


You should have a strip that measures 1" X 3".  Stitch along the longer edges of this strip. Repeat the above for the other strip as well.

Fold a strip around the D ring and stitch as close to the ring as your presser foot will allow. Repeat for the other D ring; set aside.


3. Preparing the zip: Take the zipper tab and fold the 3.75 edge at the centre. Fold the raw edges towards the centre by 3/8". Press.


The length of the zip is 12.5 ".To reduce bulk while sewing, I cut off 1" on both sides of the zip.


 The total length of the zipper plus tabs should be 12.5 " i.e. equal to the length of the top edge.


Overlap the above tabs on either side of the zip ends and sew along the folded edge.


4. Sewing the zip: Place the lining fabric right side facing up. Place the zipper right side up and place the exterior or main fabric with wrong side up, aligning the three edges properly. Sew with a 3/8" seam allowance. Turn the layers so that the main fabric and the zip is facing right side up.


Topstitch along the edge. Repeat the above steps on the other side.


This is how the lining side of the bag looks. The pink zip is that of the interior pocket.



 5. Sewing the fringes: You will be sewing the fringes only on the main fabric. The first layer might be a bit difficult. You will sew this layer just below the topstitching line.


Cut the first fringe equal to the width of the main fabric. Pin it to the main fabric. I used a 1" seam allowance on the sides and cut the fringe 1/2" less on both sides. Just ensure that the fringe juts into the seam allowance at the sides. Sew the fringe with a zigzag stitch taking care to keep the lining fabric away while sewing.  Sew the second layer, ensuring that the first layer overlaps the second by 2". Since I am using a fringe which is 6" in length, my second layer is sewn 4" below the first fringe. Sew the third fringe as above.



Secure the D ring tabs about 1/2 " away from the edge of the zipper tab.


Now, open up the zipper about halfway before proceeding to the next step.

6. Assembling the bag: With right sides together, pin the lining and the main body pieces. Note that the zipper ends should be pointing towards the lining side and not towards the main fabric side. While pinning the layers it will be easier if you hang the lining fabric as shown. The fringes will fall straight. While pinning the main fabric pieces first hold the fringes which are in the seam allowance away and pin,  all the while making sure that the fringes are not caught in the pins.


Sew them together leaving a 3 1/2" opening in the lining to the turn the bag right side out. I used a 1" seam allowance on the sides and a 1/2" seam allowance at the bottom. Cut off the excess fringe.

Turn the bag right side out through the opening we left in the lining. Sew the opening in the lining closed using a slip stitch. Now you can take a few minutes to admire your bag before we proceed to attaching the straps.


7. The strap: You do not need tabs if your strap is plain. You can pass it the through the trigger hook and rivet it. Mine is braided. Hence a tab is needed.

My tab is 1 3/4" x 4" . With wrong side facing up fold the shorter edges inwards by half an inch. Now start wrapping the longer edge around the strap. Wrap the last 1/4" of the edge inwards and stitch vertically. Pass this though the trigger hook and rivet it. Do the same on the other edge as well.


Attach the trigger hook to the D ring. And there you have your fringe bag!



The bag inside
If you do make one don't forget to write to me and send me a picture. I hope you have as much fun making this bag as I did.

a

5 comments:

  1. This looks a beauty, Suma! Your instructions are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you please throw some light on where the accessories like the magnetic snap, D ring, buckles, frames, handles, bag locks etc can be purchased from ? This info would be very useful to bag making enthusiats like me. Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Suma, I needed names/contacts of stores in Bangalore. Missed telling that. Eagerly awaiting your response...Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jithu,
      I got your question the first time around. Do check out the shops in Balepet.

      Delete