Menubar

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Off to a Glittering Start




My year got off to a glittering start...literally! Made this high waisted sequin skirt for the New Year  party. I had had my heart set on making a sequin skirt for some time and the party seemed the perfect occasion to wear it. The project itself was very challenging but I had decided that I would give it an honest try and just have fun making it. It turned out well in the end. I loved wearing it and am very happy that it got completed in time.


The theme for the party was black and silver, so I wore my skirt with my silver Zara top.  I like wearing it with my pink top as well. The top is slouchy and the skirt looks like a normal skirt when worn with it but the high waist makes it so comfortable.



This is a high waisted straight skirt (self drafted) and has an invisible zipper with a satin lining and facing attached. The fabric has sequins sewn onto chiffon. So it had to be lined. I would have loved a pencil skirt but settled for a straight one to avoid sewing a vent.

Attaching the zipper was a bit difficult and I sewed one side of the zipper by hand and the other side by machine just to see which one was easier. Hand sewing felt better since it gives more control. I'm beginning to love hand sewing.

For the hem, I didn't want the sequins to scratch my leg so instead of hemming it the usual way I turned the hem allowance of the outer fabric inwards and that of the lining fabric outwards and sewed them together near the edge. Just wish I had time to hand hem it. Would have made me much happier.

Here are some wonderful links which helped me a lot:

How to sew with sequin fabric

Sewing lining to a zipper

I sewed the facing my way but here is a nice tutorial : Sew facings with invisible zipper

It felt nice to start off the year on such a good note. You 2013, hope you keep up your promise of razzle dazzle.

No comments:

Post a Comment