Menubar

Saturday, August 27, 2011

What's For Lunch?




Looking for a right sized plastic/paper bag every morning, to send my husband's lunch box in became really tiring. I had bad experiences with store-bought lunch bags earlier. The zippers were never durable or the plastic like fabric frayed within a few months of using it. So, I decided to make a lunch bag myself. Hurray! for sewing skills.

Tutorials I followed : Lunch Sack Tutorial
                            
I loved this tutorial. For my bag, I used drill fabric and layers of thin polyester batting. Ganesh wanted a handle added to the bag so I made the flap separately and added a handle when I sewed the flap.

Here's how I did it :
I cut the flap pieces separately, sewed on batting to one flap piece and hand sewed the velcro on. I prefer hand sewing velcro. I then sewed only the curved part of the 2 flap pieces with right sides together. I left the straight edge open and turned the flap inside out. I topstitched the curved edge. Flap done.

I made the outer and inner bag shell as per the tutorial. After making the outer shell I thought of adding some quote/phrase on the bag. I typed the phrase 'What's for lunch' on notepad using font Ravie, font size 48 and printed it out. I then traced it onto the main fabric piece using carbon paper. I painted the phrase using fabric pen. It was my first time using a fabric pen to colour and I wished I had done all the above before sewing the batting onto the main faric.

Below are my 3 main pieces ready for assembly.





I had a last minute desire to add on my own fabric label. Fabric labels make handmade stuff extra special. I used this tutorial . Instead of using plain fabric I used iron-on interfacing. Cut a strip smaller than your gingham ribbon strip. One of the sides of iron-on interfacing has a waxy surface. This surface should face the gingham strip and should be ironed on with the iron on a high setting. Keep moving the iron quickly over the interfacing . You do need to be extra careful doing this with smaller fabric pieces. I used interfacing since I did not have plain fabric. For the words I used fabric pen. Though I was happy with the way the interfacing adhered to the ribbon I still did stitch the edges lest the interfacing peels away.



The label was then sewn on to the lining. Remember to sew it on the right side of the lining.

Assembling the pieces: I first pinned on the handle and the flap to the main bag shell (on the side opposite to the written side) taking care to centre the flap and to attach the handle edges equidistant from the centre.
The picture below shows the side view.


I pinned the top edges of the outer and inner shells right sides facing together. In this, one should remember to remove the earlier pins from the flap and the handles and pin the whole thing along with the lining.The fabric label side of the lining should be behind the handle side of the outer shell to ensure that the label is below the flap when the bag is done. The edges were then sewn together leaving a gap of about two and a half inches to turn the whole thing inside out. And below my bag after turning it inside out and sewing the gap closed.



 I also topstitched the edge to give it a neater look. Remember to keep the flap and handle out of the way while topstitching. We want the stitching on the lining side not the flap side.
The other velcro piece was sewn in at the very end.  



My husband loves his new lunch bag. Next time I make this I will surely add vinyl to the lining.
Note to self : Should stock up on non-girly fabrics for projects like these.



11 comments:

  1. I am sure u are going to get more orders from ur husband's office. :)
    Very cute lunch bag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute and fruitful piece of work, Suma.......absolutely brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suma, this is absolutely awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. Suma love all the lil details... Where did you get the drill fabric... Just so bright that it makes your day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! It looks great. I'm from Bangalore. Where do you get vinyl? Btw, the fabric is so cool....
    Lovely bag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Jayashree - The drill fabric is from the Binny Mills showroom near Commercial street.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Sangeetha- Thanks :) You can buy Vinyl at many stores in Chikpet. It is available is various thicknesses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suma, where can I find polyester batting and fusible interfacing in Bangalore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, You can get fusible interfacing at Sri Vinayaka Stores - 4th Block Jayangar. Polyester batting is available at any place that makes quilts. The batting that I used was ordered by the kind old gentleman at Our Own Store (off Commercial street) because I kept on asking him for it. He does not stock it but you can definitely ask him.

      Delete
  9. Is there any other name for fusible interfacing that I have to ask in the shop(Sri Vinayaka Stores)? Because wherever I ask, no one seems to be familiar with the name 'fusible interfacing'
    :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can ask for 'Buckram' and then ask them for various types of Buckram.

      Delete