Ladies and gentlemen my new Bernette 15! Its around 2 weeks old and is the reason for the smile on my face as I am typing.
Update 4 Jan 2016 - This machine is now called London 5 and here is a whole list of tutorials on the stitches available on the machine and how to use them : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvE6jwvXA4CFUgWjZ27f_hdQZF9Zdp4TS
I was actually very happy with my old sewing machine. The machine that I was using until now was a Usha Tailor Deluxe.
The decision this time was an informed one. After sewing for quite sometime now I had a clear idea of what I was looking for -
- A robust machine with various presser feet.
- A free arm for circular sewing
- A good manual. No matter how good the demo given by the dealer is nothing can replace a well written manual. My earlier machine's manual left a lot to be desired.
- A good number of utility stitches.
- Machine should not vibrate at the maximum speed.
- An easy to use bobbin winding system
I visited a number of shops in Chikpet, Bangalore. The one that my friend Tanushree suggested turned out to be the best. They had brands that were not available in the other shops. Bernina is available only with select dealers in India and they are one of them. I also did not know that Bernina has been in India since 1992. The owner of the store Mr. Kumar and his staff patiently answered all my questions and gave me brochures. It was there that I narrowed down my choice to Usha Stitch Magic and Bernette. The Brother sewing machines had a top loading (drop-in) bobbin system which I was not comfortable with. I am used to the front/side bobbin loading system. For some reason I did not consider Singer.
|LED display for displaying design patterns|
- Loved its features. It comes with 6 standard presser feet. Find the brochure and a list of presser feet (click on the download tab) here
- For similar features ( as compared to Usha Stitch Magic) the Bernette15 came at a much lesser price. I saved a few thousand rupees.
- It has a 2 level pressure foot lift which will be useful for sewing many layers.
- The other models in Bernina were way beyond my budget for now. Find the Bernina models available in India here on their site : Bernina India
- It comes with a wonderful manual.
I was also impressed with Shubha Enterprises - the store where I bought my machine. They are wonderful people to deal with so I'm sure that after sales service will be good. I got a demo of the machine by Mr. Anand from the store who was very knowledgeable.
No. 6/3 Near Upparpet Police station
Ph : 080-22201651 080-2226 3651
- Keep in mind what kind of projects you will be using your machine for. If it were only dressmaking I would have been happy with my old machine. Since I also make bags I felt the need to upgrade.
- Ask your friends about their machines and features/ read reviews on the internet and on sewing forums.
- Know the functions of various presser feet. There are standard feet available and also optional feet that can be bought as and when you need them.
- All machines from a brand might not be on display in the store. If there is something you have in mind ask for it.
- Use the machine, that you are planning to buy, at the dealer's and don't shy away from asking questions.
P.S. If there is a problem commenting on my blog please let me know by sending me an email. If your google profile goes in a loop while commenting you need to uncheck the "stay signed in" option, sign in again and then comment.