Menubar

Monday, March 28, 2011

Olive Vesper







Pattern : Vesper

Yarn : Laura Knitting Cotton ( DK 8ply)

Needles : US4 (3.5mm)

Videos that were very helpful : Provisonal Crochet Cast- On
                                                   Short Row Tutorial

When it came to zeroing in on my first knit wearable, I was looking for something simple to knit, good to look and  something I would wear frequently. I finally chose Vesper. Knit in cotton, Vesper is a very well written pattern.

I started with a provisonal crochet cast on since I had decided to use Roko's mods where the pleats are knitted together and not sewn together like the pattern instructs. The pattern does have endless rows of Stockinette stitch. I used this to practice speed knitting and to also see whether I could knit without looking. It was fun.





I used Roko's method for pleating. It is quite easy once you get the hang of it. Since I was not so confident, I first tried it on a test knit and then pleated Vesper. I used thinner bamboo needles as 2 additional needles to do the pleats. I also added a lifeline on the row below the row to be pleated. Am glad I did this though the pleats turned out correct the first time I made them. After the pleats I did a k2tog at the place of each pleat to avoid holes at pleats.




When I did the sleeves I picked up a few stitches at the armhole to avoid gaps. I then wet blocked Vesper. The colour did bleed a bit when washed. Since it is cotton it did not stretch much. The yarn was very nice to knit with. But I do wish the resultant fabric was a bit softer. This is the only cotton yarn that is available here. So there isn't much I can do about it.







I love my Vesper. My first knit wearable (yay!) has been  a wonderful learning experience. Thanks to my friend Sanhita for helping me out whenever I had questions about the pattern. Thanks Heidi for this beautifully written pattern!


2 comments:

  1. Very cool,....
    Its looking wonderful on you.

    Medha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely knit, Suma. The pleats hve turned out really good.

    ReplyDelete